There is always an exemption of golf carts from registration and requirements in most states. However, most states only allow a driver who has a valid driver’s license and who is at least 14 to 16 years of age to drive a golf cart on a public roadway. There are different rules guiding and regulating golf carts driving, and it differs per state. We have seen states in the US, who have placed strict regulations on when, where, and how a golf cart can be driven or operated. In this article, we are going to discuss in detail the restrictions and requirements associated with driving golf carts on normal roads and streets.
What Is A Golf Cart?
Even if there may be a different definition for the term, in most American states, a golf cart is particularly outlined by law to be a vehicle which is built to:
1. operate on a golf course for leisurely purposes
2. carry golf equipment
3. carry only 2 people
4. operate at optimum speeds of twenty miles per hour
5. have a minimum of 3 wheels in exposure to the ground, then
6. have a maximum empty mass of 1,300 lbs.
The Table Below Contains The Information On Whether You Can Drive A Golf Cart On Sidewalks And Whether You Can Drive A Golf Cart At Age 15.
|Can You Drive A Golf Cart On Sidewalks?||No! No vehicle is allowed to be driven on public sidewalks.|
|Can You Drive A Golf Cart At Age 15?||You need to be at least age 14 to drive a golf cart in most states.|
How Old Do I Have To Be To Drive A Golf Cart?
You may just wonder the age requirement for driving a golf cart if you visit a nearby golf course. It is no surprise that most people that are new to golf think that anybody can handle a golf cart since it looks simple to operate. Just like we said the age restrictions differ according to your state of residence.
Can You Drive A Golf Cart On Sidewalks?
Can You Drive A Golf Cart At Age 15?
You need to be at least age 14 to drive a golf cart in most states. However, Texas only allows drivers who are above 16 years of age. So, in a simple answer, it depends on your state of residence.
Rules Of Driving Golf Carts By Some Few Popular States (USA)
After extensive research, we’ve compiled a list of four states in the US with their requirements and restrictions on driving a golf cart on golf courses and other areas.
The laws in South Carolina state that:
1. Before driving on any secondary street or public street, you should have a legit permit.
2. You’re only allowed to drive within four miles of your home or office.
3. You’re expected to replace the golf cart permits every five years depending on your state
4. A new permit should be obtained with the current information if you change your residential address.
5. Before getting a permit, it is essential to provide proof of valid insurance.
6. You should be at least sixteen years old with a valid driving license.
7. 35 mph is the maximum speed limit
8. The driver should account for any failure to adhere to the regulations
9. The parent is accountable for a fine or legal action if a kid below age 14 does not abide by the requirements.
1. You are only permitted to drive a golf cart on roadways at a maximum speed of 25 mph.
2. The total number of people allowed on a cart should never exceed four people, including the driver.
3. Don’t drive a golf cart on the sidewalk
4. A valid driver’s license and liability insurance is a prerequisite for every golf cart driver.
1. Unless a golf cart has a low-speed vehicle upgrade, it will not be allowed on public roads of Alabama.
2. You must have a valid driver’s license and be 18 years old to drive a golf cart on public roads.
3. Golf carts are only allowed to be driven between sunrise and sunset with headlights n at all times.
4. Do not operate a golf cart while under the influence of hard drugs or alcohol.
5. Adhere to the mandatory speed limit for low-speed vehicles
6. A driver cannot drive a golf cart between lanes of traffic or rows of drivers.
7. You must always watch out for other larger and faster vehicles
8. You must be on seat belts, meaning the cart should have one.
9. You cannot drive with a child that’s not up to age five.
10. Your golf cart should have a vehicle identification number
1 If you want to drive a golf cart in the state, you must have a valid driver’s license and be sixteen years old.
2. All the required equipment must be on a golf cart.
3. Gold carts cannot be operated anything half hour after sunset or half-hour before sunrise
4. Golf carts are not allowed in bicycle-designated zones
5. You cannot operate a golf cart with a revoked driver’s license
6. You will benefit from all of the rights applied to normal motor car drivers as well as the same legal actions when you forget to abide by the requirements
There’s usually an exemption of golf carts from specifications as well as registration in many states. Nevertheless, many American states just let a driver who’s got a valid driver’s license and who’s no less than fourteen to sixteen yrs of age to operate a golf cart on a public roadway. You will find rules that are different regulating and leading golf carts driving, which varies a state. We’ve come to the final chapter of this informative article. We hope you were able to find resources in your quest to know if you need a driver’s license to drive a golf cart. Please do not hesitate to contact us for questions or comments. Thanks!