Last Updated on October 5, 2023 by Alex PT
The top golfers in the world use a variety of different brands of golf balls, but Titleist is the most popular brand among professional golfers. In fact, over 70% of the top 100 PGA Tour players use a Titleist golf ball.
List of the top 10 golf balls used by PGA Tour players in 2023
- Titleist Pro V1
- Titleist Pro V1x
- TaylorMade TP5x
- Callaway Chrome Soft X
- Srixon Z-Star XV
- Titleist Pro V1 Left Dot
- Callaway Chrome Soft X LS
- TaylorMade TP5
- Bridgestone Tour B X
- Bridgestone Tour B XS
Brands of golf balls that top professionals use
Golf balls play an essential part in how top golfers seamlessly hit the ball with relative ease and absolute control. Professional golfers use a wide range of different brands of golf balls which will be highlighted and discussed below. Each brand is uniquely designed with different materials and structures, modeled to satisfy the player’s expectations and needs.
Titleist golf ball
This is arguably the most populous of all major manufacturing brands of golf balls. They come in different variations with unique qualities both in structure and performance. Ranging from the Titleist Pro v1 which guarantees a soft feel and low level of spin to the Titleist Pro v1x with a higher flight and increased spin, this brand is the most preferred choice of top golfers in the PGA tour. Titleist golf balls guarantee low spin and longer distance and have been on top of the radar as the best golf ball for several decades.
Similarities and differences between Titleist pro v1 and Titleist pro v1x; Similar in technological makeup but suitable for diverse player choices, The two brands are produced by Titleist but have a few differences which are highlighted in the table below.
Callaway chrome soft X
With an increase in versatility and soft feel, soft X has become the most preferred golf ball just behind Titleist. It is technically designed with a high-speed core and durable urethane cover which makes it a preferred option for golfers who crave for soft feel and maximum distance. This brand is uniquely designed for a wide range of golfers with different skill levels with exceptional spin and control, which ultimately places it as the second most-played golf ball in the golf world.
This brand of golf balls is uniquely designed to suit golfers who crave longer distances and a soft feel playing experience with accuracy and consistency. With a compression rate of 85%, this ball provides a significant reduction in drag and offers a great rebound which ultimately ensures a better ball speed. There are two standard versions of this brand; the TP5 and TP5x. Both golf balls are top quality and similar in structure but slightly differ in makeup and performance.
Similarities and differences between TP5 and TP5x Taylor-made golf balls;
As stated earlier, these two versions are close in similarity but offer different performing abilities to diverse players. TP5 is recognized as the most advanced of all versions manufactured by tailor-made. This claim resulted from the consistent flight and soft feel it provides around the greens. The cover of TP5 tailor-made is made up of a soft urethane and has a low-compression core, which interestingly made this version the softest ball ever produced by Taylor.
On the flip side, TP5x offers less spin on the greens compared to the TP5 version, which is the major difference between the two. Although both golf balls are identical in compression, TP5x offers a higher launch with a lower spin rate which helps in maintaining better spin around the greens.
Bridgestone golf balls
This brand of golf balls is unique for its sound which remarkably makes it the preferred choice for arguably the greatest golfer of all time – Tiger Woods. Bridgestone golf balls are produced in different versions and offer maximum flight distance and ultimate control on the greens. Below is a list of golf ball versions produced by Bridgestone.
- Tour B XS
- Tour B XS TW
- Tour B X
- E12 contact golf ball
- Tour B RX
- E12 soft golf ball
- E6 golf ball
The above-listed versions of golf balls are uniquely different in quality, specifications, construction, and performance abilities. The Bridgestone Tour B XS offers
Why Pros Use Titleist Golf Balls
Professional golfers often choose Titleist golf balls for several compelling reasons:
- Consistency: Titleist is known for producing golf balls with consistent performance characteristics, which is crucial for professionals who rely on predictable ball flight and control.
- Distance: Titleist golf balls are engineered to maximize distance, providing pros with an advantage off the tee and on long approach shots.
- Control: These balls offer excellent spin control, allowing skilled players to shape shots and control the ball around the greens, vital for scoring well in tournaments.
- Feel: Titleist golf balls provide a soft and responsive feel, which many professionals prefer for their short-game shots, offering the touch and feedback they need.
- Proven Track Record: Titleists have a long history of success in professional golf, with numerous major championships and tournament wins attributed to their golf balls, reinforcing their trustworthiness.
- Customization: Titleist offers custom fitting services to tailor golf balls to a player’s specific needs, ensuring optimal performance.
- Research and Development: The brand continually invests in research and development to stay at the forefront of golf ball technology, making improvements that benefit professional players.
- Tour Validation: Titleist golf balls are rigorously tested and validated on professional tours worldwide, gaining the trust of top players who seek a competitive edge.
- Variety: Titleist offers a range of golf ball models, including the Pro V1, Pro V1x, and others, allowing pros to choose the ball that best suits their game and preferences.
- Brand Reputation: Titleist’s reputation for quality and performance has made it a go-to choice for professionals, further solidifying its position as the preferred brand among top golfers.
What Compression Golf Balls Do The Pros Use
Professional golfers often use golf balls with varying compression levels depending on their swing speed, preferences, and playing conditions. Here’s an overview of the compression golf balls that pros commonly use:
- High Compression (90+): Some professional golfers with very high swing speeds opt for high-compression golf balls. These balls are designed to offer lower initial ball compression, which can lead to increased ball speed and distance. However, they may be less forgiving and provide less feel on short-game shots.
- Mid Compression (70-90): Many professional golfers prefer mid-compression golf balls, which strike a balance between distance and feel. These balls offer a good distance off the tee while still providing sufficient control and feel around the greens. They are versatile and suitable for a wide range of players.
- Low Compression (Below 70): Some pros with slower swing speeds or those seeking more feel and control choose low-compression golf balls. These balls compress more easily upon impact, which can enhance feel and control, particularly for short game shots. However, they may sacrifice some distance compared to higher-compression options.
- Urethane Cover Golf Balls: Many professional golfers use golf balls with urethane covers, regardless of compression. Urethane-covered balls offer exceptional spin control, especially on approach shots and around the greens. They provide the soft feel that many pros prefer for their short game.
- Tour-Level Golf Balls: Golf ball manufacturers often produce tour-level balls explicitly designed for professional players. These balls typically feature advanced technology and materials, such as multi-layer construction and optimized dimple patterns, to provide the performance and consistency that pros demand.
- Brand and Model Preferences: Individual preferences among professional golfers can vary widely. Some may have specific brand loyalties or preferences for certain models within a brand’s lineup, choosing the compression level and characteristics that align with their game and playing conditions.
Below is a compiled list of frequently asked questions about the brand of golf balls used by top golfers. Let’s check them out!
What brand of golf balls is the most used on the PGA tour
Titleist pro v1 range is used by over 50% of golfers on the PGA tour which makes it the most used brand of all.
Why don’t top golfers use colored golf balls?
Colored golf balls are mainly used by amateurs and regular golfers. Traditionally, Professional golfers use White balls the ensure visibility and easy follow-up during flight.
Why do many top golfers use Titleist golf balls?
Aside from the fact that the Titleist brand produces the best of golf balls both in quality and standard, Sponsorship benefits are a major key investment top golfers consider before choosing a particular brand to play.
Can amateurs use the same golf balls as the top professionals?
Top brands of golf balls are available and can easily be purchased online by regular golf players to have a feel of what the professionals play. The only downside to this is that some golf balls are uniquely produced for a certain skill set possessed by certain professionals, and also some golf balls are available only to top professionals upon release.
The performance of golf balls is an important consideration that influences the choice of brands top golfers choose to play. The durability of the ball, consistency in flight, green holding ability, distance, and spinning ability is the required quality that makes a good golf ball. Among several top manufacturing brands of golf balls, Titleist pro v1 and pro v1x are recognized as the most preferred choice with tailor-made, Srixon, Callaway, Bridgestone equally claiming an increasing market share in recent years.
We hope this article has provided answers to your questions about the brands of golf balls used by professional golfers. Kindly contact us through the comment sections for inquiries related to the article topic.