Last Updated on October 12, 2023 by Alex PT
UFC gloves are typically 4-6 ounces (110-170 grams). The exact weight of the gloves can vary depending on the size of the fighter’s hands and the weight class of the fight. For example, larger fighters may wear heavier gloves, while fighters in lower-weight classes may wear lighter gloves.
What is the typical UFC gloves weight?
The typical weight of UFC gloves is 4 ounces (approximately 113 grams) for each glove. These gloves are specially designed for mixed martial arts (MMA) competition and are regulated by the UFC to ensure safety and fairness in fights. Here are some additional details about UFC gloves:
- Weight Regulation: The UFC has strict regulations in place to ensure that all gloves used in their events weigh exactly 4 ounces. This uniformity is essential to maintain a level playing field for all fighters.
- Padding: Despite their lightweight, UFC gloves have padding to protect the fighter’s hands and reduce the risk of injury during strikes. The padding is primarily concentrated over the knuckles and the back of the hand.
- Design: UFC gloves are fingerless, allowing fighters to have a secure grip on their opponent and to apply various grappling and submission techniques. They have a wrap-around wrist closure to provide stability and minimize the risk of wrist injuries.
- Hand Size and Fit: UFC gloves come in different sizes to accommodate various hand sizes and ensure a snug fit for each fighter. Proper fit is crucial for both safety and performance.
- Material: These gloves are typically made from synthetic materials like leather or synthetic leather. The choice of materials can vary between brands and models, but they are all designed to be durable and easy to clean.
- Brand Variation: While the UFC has specific regulations for glove weight, fighters may have preferences for the brand and model of gloves they use. Some fighters may have sponsorship deals with glove manufacturers, allowing them to wear customized gloves in UFC events.
- Safety Standards: UFC gloves meet safety standards and undergo rigorous testing to ensure they provide adequate protection for the fighters. They are designed to reduce the risk of hand injuries while allowing for effective striking and grappling.
A UFC Glove
For now, let us just talk about the UFC gloves on its own without talking about the features and the weight of other things that make it a standard UFC glove. There are several gloves in the market, they are all different from a UFC glove for its specific features. UFC gloves are now as grappling gloves which are very small with the finger holes opened for the person’s fingers.
Also, talking about weight now, they are usually made with four to six ounces of padding. The UFC gloves were made especially to help protect the fighter and leave your fingers open and accessible so grappling tactics can be used during a fight. Players usually employ the use of special tactics like clinch fighting and submission during a fight so that their opponent doesn’t get the chance to win.
Types OF UFC Gloves
However, some people who don’t know used to agree that there is just one particular glove used by everyone. They never knew that these gloves have three types normally with differences in weight.
Most professional fighters today usually use their gloves that weigh at least 4 ounces to fight. The amateurs in the game are majorly the ones that use heavier gloves like 6 bounces so that they can get the maximum protection that they would need normally for every fight they encounter. When the rules of UFC are being consulted, every fighter is only allowed to use gloves that weigh at least 4 ounces and not more than 6 ounces. Although they allow larger gloves than the ones that are used by most fighters because of the person’s hands. Sizes like the 2xL and 4xL.
On a normal basis, the MMA uses sparring gloves that weigh about 7 ounces. With gloves like this, when a player is sparing, there is always a lot of impact on it. The gloves that you are putting on would help you keep your knuckles in check while you go ahead and throw a punch with the mindset of knocking down your opponent. Your knuckles need all the protection they can get so that they don’t get dislocated in the middle of a game. Just so you know, the weight of your glove is not because of the material used to make it, it is the material that they use to pad it.
These gloves are known as the hybrid of gloves because they are training gloves, the gloves are used to practice clinch work and grappling. This type of glove has smaller padding because you won’t need the impact when practicing. Wearing these gloves gives you the ability to move your fingers independently.
Impact Of Gloves
The impact of the gloves on most injuries that is a result of a fight is also a very strong issue that is looked at mostly relating to boxing. The padding on the gloves doesn’t protect the person getting hit because the main aim of the man wearing the gloves is to knock his opponent down. Brain injuries can still occur during these fights if a hit with the gloves on your head is what your opponent does to you. The gloves can only protect the fingers of the guy giving the punch unless the gloves used is large glove that is very hard to use, then the brain injury can be prevented. The gloves also give the fighters the chance to give stronger punches to their opponents than when the players are using their bare knuckles. The glove is not what causes the brain injury, the glove doesn’t just protect you from having it.
How Heavy Exactly Are The UFC Gloves?
As e have mentioned before, the UFC gloves that we see and have been used over the years always weigh within the measurement of about 4 to 6 ounces because of the padding. The gloves are made like the a that the fighter’s hands can be protected from impact water he hits his opponent. One major piece of information is that most of the UFC gloves in a tournament don’t officially have more weight than the number of ounces that have been measured before. The UFC rules are the major reason why the gloves are not as heavy as 8 to 9 ounces.
What Causes The Weight Of The Gloves?
Normally, the major thing that causes the UFC glove to be this heavy is the padding that is used inside of it. Since there are finger holes in the glove, it gives the fighter a chance to perform some useful tactics so he can win the fight.
Well, so far we are sure that the article was able to offer what it promises because these are the major things about gloves. Especially the ones for fighting. We’ve reached the closing chapter of this informative article. We hope you were able to find good resources in your quest to know the weight of UFC gloves. If you have any questions or comments about the article topic, don’t hesitate to contact us. Thanks
Hi! I’m Alex PT. I hold a Bachelor’s degree in Sports Management from Indiana University and have over seven years of valuable experience working in a Sports Event Management Company. I founded SportBlurb with the passion for bringing you the latest, most insightful, and engaging content in the world of sports. So, whether you’re a die-hard fan or want to stay informed, I’ve got you covered!