Last Updated on October 10, 2023 by Alex PT
Some people don’t enjoy watching sports due to various reasons, including personal preferences, lack of interest, or other hobbies. According to a 2023 survey by St. Bonaventure University, 27% of Americans do not watch sports. This includes 19% of men and 35% of women.
Five Reasons Why Some People Don’t Enjoy Watching Sports
Here are some things that keep some people away from being sports fans:
The Commitment Involved
Have you ever seen sports fans watching their favorite teams play? Well, this shouldn’t be taken the wrong way but they have this sense of commitment that causes them to be sad when a team of 2 to 15 players that they don’t know lose the game. Also, it makes them rejoice when their favorite team wins. This isn’t something that most people want to do because it seems like it is a waste of time and energy. For games like soccer, baseball, and basketball around the world, this issue seems to always arise with fans. Fans ridicule other fans based on the outcome of the game, players also do the same to each other. Imagine someone who isn’t much of a sports fan attending a sports event and then sits close to a committed fan who gets angry because his or her team didn’t perform as they should, you wouldn’t want to experience a scenario like this again if you were in their shoe.
Sports Will Always Make The Headlines
Those who are not in any way interested in any sports are not able to avoid any of the sports news because, with the number of people who enjoy sports, it is nearly impossible to go a day without hearing any news concerning it. This might not be a reason to hate it but some people are not interested in what the sports news has to say. This might stir up some form of hate or distress for the sports association.
The Games Might Not Be Interesting
Some of the sports games might be too long without enough action that you might have expected. For instance, you are at a baseball game and all you can see is grown men with matching uniforms on two sides, one is bowling the ball and the other is hitting it and making other players run after it while the batter is running around. With the concept of the game, someone who isn’t into sports might not enjoy seeing this type of thing because it is kind of a repeated routine in the game. This whole routine might not catch your interest. The downtime in sports doesn’t just happen in only baseball because in sports like basketball and football, the tense moments are within the last periods of the game. The main thing is that there are boring times in sports too, not every sport is like wrestling.
The Rules Sometimes Are Too Complicated
Sometimes the rules and regulations of the game might seem abstract to them. Trying to watch a basketball game where the ball is being played with hands and then before you know it, the referee stops the game saying the player committed to travel. You might get confused because to you the guy moved with the ball and somehow he is being fouled. According to the game, the player must have moved the wrong way while holding the ball. Basketball isn’t the only sport with some complicated rules. These rules are not complicated to those who have been fans for a long time, just those who just started watching this particular sport.
Sometimes It Might Be Too Rough For Some People
It is possible that this person coming to watch this sport with you had some kind of experience relating to the sport that caused some trauma in their life. Sometimes it might be that the person just doesn’t like the idea of contact sports or people running around trying to get a hold of one thing, the ball. Maybe the person is one of these overly careful people who don’t like to be in danger so they cannot get involved in things where they see the chances of getting some kind of injury.
Can watching sports be bad for your health?
Watching sports can have both positive and negative effects on your health, depending on the extent and context of your viewing. Here are some potential negative health effects associated with excessive sports watching:
- Sedentary Lifestyle: Prolonged periods of sitting while watching sports can lead to a sedentary lifestyle, which is linked to obesity, heart disease, and other health issues.
- Lack of Physical Activity: People who spend a lot of time watching sports may neglect regular physical activity, which is crucial for overall health and fitness.
- Unhealthy Eating Habits: Watching sports events, especially at sports bars or parties, can encourage unhealthy eating and drinking habits, such as consuming high-calorie snacks and alcohol.
- Stress and Emotional Impact: Intense emotional involvement in sports events, particularly when your favorite team is losing, can lead to increased stress and emotional distress.
- Sleep Disruption: Late-night sports events can disrupt sleep patterns, leading to sleep deprivation, which is associated with various health problems.
- Eye Strain: Prolonged screen time, especially on small screens like smartphones or tablets, can cause eye strain and discomfort.
- Social Isolation: Excessive sports watching can lead to social isolation if it interferes with social interactions and relationships.
- Gambling Addiction: Some individuals may develop gambling problems related to sports betting, which can have severe financial and emotional consequences.
- Increased Sedentary Time: According to a study published in The Lancet, every hour spent watching TV per day is associated with an 11% higher risk of premature death.
Why Is The Hate Mostly For Team Sports?
Most times, team sports cause too much contact among players. People who have a disliking for team sports, the reason is because of the roughness of the game. Team sports often result in some sort of injury to players, especially kids.
What Is The Advice Given To Sports Fans Who Their Favorite Teams Lose?
The normal thing to do is make sure you don’t overthink it. It is just a game, you can’t always win. Maybe you had high hopes and you were expecting something better from your team. Just try to stay around people and make sure you don’t let your feelings get the best of you.
Are Sports Unhealthy?
Not particularly. The only thing is that some sports come with a lot of stress and striving to make sure you are the best at what you are doing might come with a lot of emotional damage. This happens to kids most times because they might be pushed beyond their limits when they don’t perform as usual.
Don’t think that based on what has been said in this article sports are a bad idea. Sports have more positive than negative sides.