Last Updated on October 2, 2021 by Daniel Cuttridge
A “round” is the period of time given to two opposing boxers to fight against each other with any break. At the completion of each round, the referee will ring the bell as the master of ceremonies announces the game timing. In today’s boxing, there’s a total of 12 rounds in which each round lasts only 3 minutes. The number of rounds depends on the level of experience and skills of the boxers. You can’t expect the same number of rounds for a junior boxer to be the same as a professional boxer. Also, the number of rounds is determined by the caliber of the match. An amateur match will definitely not have the same number of rounds as a professional match.
The Table Below Contains The Level Of Play In Boxing And The Number Of Rounds
|Level Of Play||Number Of Rounds||Resting Time|
|Professional Boxing Rounds||12 Rounds||3 Minutes|
|Amateur Boxing Rounds||12 Rounds||3 Minutes|
|Youth Boxing Rounds||12 Rounds||Depends on the age group, but it lasts between 1 to 3 minutes|
Professional Boxing Rounds
The ‘prize fighting’ boxing, widely known today as professional boxing started in the early 20th century, and it didn’t take long before it reaches the spotlight. In professional boxing, boxers can fight to the last round which is the standard 12 rounds. Each of these rounds lasts for three minutes with a minute rest before the start of the next round.
Amateur Boxing Rounds
Amateur boxing rounds are used in Olympics Commonwealth Games, Pan American Games, and some other amateur matches. In both men and women categories, around in amateur boxing lasts for 3 minutes and the bout can go up to the 12th round.
Youth Boxing Rounds
Youth boxing is a vibrant part if the boxing world today, and unfortunately a lot of people do not really appreciate it. A lot of rising talents are in the youth boxing category, some of which do not get the opportunity to international or national limelight. Youth boxing rounds are categorized according to their age group. Let’s check them out!
1. Bantam – This is normally for children between 8 to 10 years of age and they can go only go for 3 rounds. Each round lasts 1 minute with a minute of rest.
2. Junior – This is normally for children between 11 to 12 years of age and they can go only go for 3 rounds. Each round lasts 2 minutes with a minute of rest. (11 to 12 years old) – three rounds of 1 minute each and a minute to rest.
3. Intermediate – This is normally for young teenagers between 13 to 14 years of age and they can go only go for 3 rounds. Each round lasts 1.5 minutes with a minute of rest.
4. Senior Junior Olympic – This is normally for teenagers between 15 to 16 years of age and they can go only go for 3 rounds. Each round lasts 2 minutes with a minute of rest.
5. Sub Novice – This is normally for people between the age of 17 to 35 years and they can go only go for 3 rounds. Each round lasts 2 minutes with a minute of rest.
6. Novice – This is normally for people between the age of 17 and 35 years and they can go more than 10 rounds. Each round lasts 2 minutes with a minute of rest.
7. Open – This is for people between the age of 17 to 34 years and they can go for more than 10 rounds. Each round lasts 3 minutes with a minute of rest.
8. Master Class – This is normally for people over 35 years of age and they can go more than 10 rounds. Each round lasts 3 minutes with a minute of rest.
Why Is Boxing No Longer 15 Rounds?
It was mainly because of a significant fight in the history of boxing that the number of rounds was reduced from 15 to 12. On November 13th of 1982, there was a calamity event during the match between Ray Mancini and Duk Koo Kim. This disastrous event led some sporting associations to call for the reduction of the number of rounds to ensure the safety and wellness of boxers.
Are All Boxing Matches 12 Rounds?
No! It is only professional boxing that is strictly fixed at 12 rounds. And each round lasts about two minutes for the women category and three minutes for the men category. Depending on the level of experience and expertise, most professional boxing could reach the 12th round before the winner is decided.
How Many Rounds Do Pro Boxers Fight?
In today’s boxing, pro boxers fight for as little as four rounds and as many as 12 before the winner is decided. It is mostly when there’s a big title or world championship involving the best fighters around the world that rounds go as many as 12 rounds.
What Is The Longest Boxing Match Ever?
In 1855, the world of boxing recorded the longest match between an Englishman called Jonathan Smith and an Irishman called James Kelly in a town near Ballarat. This match lasted for exactly 6 hours and 15 minutes, making it the longest boxing match ever.
What Happens If There’s A Knockout Or Knockdown During A Round?
Normally, during a boxing match, if you knock down your opponent, the referee will give him a count of 10 to get back on his feet to notify if he’s fit enough to carry on with the match. Note that the timing of the round will not be stopped. If you knock out your opponent, the fight ends immediately and you’ll emerge as the winner. A boxing match is only decided by the judges after the 12th round without a knockout or disqualification.
How Long Do Rounds Last In Boxing?
In men’s professional boxing, each round lasts for about three minutes. However, that’s slightly different from the women category. Women’s boxing rounds last for two minutes with only a minute of resting time.
What Happens Between Each Round?
After each round, boxers withdraw to their corners and take some water, rest, and receive tactical instructions from their trainer, and if the fighter is injured, he’ll get quick treatment. The next round starts immediately after just one minute.
What Do Championship Rounds Mean?
The championship rounds in boxing mean the old 13 through 15 rounds used only in major championship scenarios. In boxing today, the ‘championship rounds’ are used to denote rounds 9 through 12.
The level of play determines the length of a boxing round. In professional boxing, there’s a total of 12 rounds in which each round lasts only 3 minutes. As you know, professional boxing always sticks with its stringent rules. But that’s not the same with youth boxing rounds or amateur boxing round. We’ve come to the final chapter of this informative article. We hope you were able to find good and reliable resources in your quest to know the number of rounds in boxing. If you have any questions or comments about the article topic, don’t hesitate to contact us. Thanks!